RBL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
- The Review of Biblical Literature (RBL) is an online publication (ISSN: 1099-0321) owned and operated by the Society of Biblical Literature and produced by SBL Press. Established in 1999, RBL provides access to scholarly reviews of books in biblical studies and related fields.
- Access to reviews in RBL is available only to Authorized Users, which includes any current member of the Society of Biblical Literature or any nonmember assigned a valid identification number by the Society for temporary access to reviews posted at the site. Use of another personís SBL member or assigned identification number to log in to the RBL site is prohibited.
- Authorized users may view, download, print, and distribute printed copies of reviews according to the permitted uses listed below, provided there is no commercial use of the material without the SBLís explicit written permission:
- research activities;
- classroom instruction and related activities;
- student assignments;
- as part of a scholarly presentation or workshop;
- in research papers or dissertations, including reproductions of the dissertations, provided such reproductions are only for personal use, library deposit, and/or use solely within the institution(s) with which the Authorized User and/or his or her faculty readers are affiliated; and
- downloading of reviews to view, use and display on oneís own digital device (e.g., mobile device, e-reader, and personal computer); and
- fair use under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act, educational exceptions, or other similar provisions of the copyright laws or other intellectual property right laws in the United States.
Any RBL content that has been downloaded or printed out by an Authorized User may continue to be used in compliance with these Terms and Conditions even if such license should later terminate or expire.
Users may not:
- distribute an electronic version of a review either in the original PDF format or any other file format;
- post online an electronic version of a review either in the original PDF format or any other file format;
- use or authorize the use of an RBL review for commercial purposes;
- provide a printed copy of a review to an unauthorized user except as set forth in paragraph 3 above;
- modify, obscure, or remove any copyright notice or other attribution included in an RBL review;
- undertake any activity that may burden the RBL server system, such as computer programs that automatically download or export content, commonly known as web robots, spiders, crawlers, wanderers, or accelerators;
- incorporate content into an unrestricted database without prior permission from SBL; or
- make any use, display, performance, reproduction, or distribution that exceeds or violates these Terms and Conditions of Use.
Review of Biblical Literature and RBL, as well as any trademarks, issued patents and patent applications, copyrights and copyright registrations and applications, rights in ideas, designs, works of authorship, derivative works, and all other intellectual property rights relating to RBL are proprietary to SBL.
SBL reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions, or any aspect of RBL, at any time. The most updated version of these Terms and Conditions of Use will be posted on the RBL website (bookreviews.org).
Please contact us with any questions about RBLís Terms and Conditions of Use.